Monday, January 23, 2012

Teriyaki Steak and Chicken with Brown Rice

This recipe is somewhat a copy cat I came up with of the Sesame Teriyaki Chicken from O'Charley's. I love their recipe and I always get two or three meals out of it, but 1) sometimes the amount of ginger they use can cause it to be a little inconsistent in flavor, 2) sometimes the thin cut strips of chicken can get a little charred, and 3) it can get pricey for me to eat there with any sort of frequency. I had started getting the kids instant brown rice and hadnt really figured out what to do with it yet. What I ended up figuring out is one of the new faves around here; a good, filling, inexpensive one-bowl meal.

These are all the ingredients you need: Chicken breast (I buy frozen bags and thaw out what I need), Steak-any cut you like, Instant Brown Rice, Brown Sugar, ground Ginger, Soy Sauce, Lawry's Garlic Salt, Pineapple Juice, George Foreman or any other grill, Microwave safe bowl for rice and pot for making the sauce.

Go ahead and measure out the amount of rice you'll need, and water, and pour them in your microwave bowl. Set aside.

Here's what you need for the sauce. The sauce has actually tasted the best when I used my dad's Gluten Free Soy sauce. Not sure what it is it about exactly, but I think it's so much better. (And its the only ingredient that can keep this dish from being GF. I believe the brand we used was San-J)

I dont typically measure my ingredients unless I'm baking. I go strictly off my senses: color, texture/consistency, smell, flavor. dont usually like one flavor to stink out more than another with this particular sauce. I stir and heat this over medium-high heat being careful not to let it burn.

As this begins to heat, fire up your George Foreman. Lightly salt and pepper your chicken and steak.
You dont have to use both - you could even use pork - but I really love how the flavors compliment each other.

I'll let the chicken cook a little just on the one side before closing the lid. Once you close the lid, you can just let it sit for a minute. Re-open the lid, flip and rotate each piece and re-close the lid. This gives it that criss-cross grill marks.

*Mind your fingers. The steam will getcha.*


Once cooked through, remove to plate and tent with foil. This allows the meat to rest so the juices redistribute throughout and also keep it warm of course while you finished cooking everything else.

You dont want a big rolling boil, but this is what you want to see. You want the sauce to reduce down a little bit and thicken up some. Be sure you still keep an eye on it and stir it every couple minutes. Once you get it to a high simmer, let it stay there a minute or two and then reduce your heat.

Carefully wipe away any residue left on the grill so it doesnt burn.

Before you begin the steak, put your rice in the microwave for time stated on the box.

You may think that steak wouldnt be very good on a George Foreman, but it has actually come out very well for me and wasnt as touchy as I thought it might be. You simply repeat the same steps as for the chicken.


Tent steak.

When rice is done in the microwave, let it sit for about 5 minutes. During that 5 minutes, cut the chicken and steak into thin strips.

Fluff the rice with a fork.

Portion out the rice

Portion out the steak

Add the chicken

Spoon on sauce.

Mmmm =D

Give it a try tonight!
Enjoy!

Loves
~Kels

No comments:

Post a Comment