Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Gettin' Beer Bread Wasted

Ok, so obviously you cant get "wasted" or "buzzed" from a bread, but it can certainly put me in a light daze for a bit. : ) I've seen multiple variations of a simple beer bread recipe and finally just put together my own. Now that alcohol sales are permitted in our town, I am so ecstatic to not have to plan a trip to one of the surrounding counties to make this now!! (Dont be worried, the actual "alcohol" cooks out and you're simply left with the flavor.) I am sooo not a fan of drinking beer myself, but give this bread a shot if you dont either.


3 cups of sifted Self Rising Flour



1/2 cup sugar



1 Stick (1/2 cup) butter. Melt in small bowl or measuring cup.



12 oz of your favorite beer. (1 regular can) Each type of beer will give a slightly different flavor. I use Busch just because that's just what was around the first time, and when I find something I like, I usually wont change it!



Mix all four ingredients together well. I use a little over 1/4 cup of the butter in the mix and reserve the rest for later.





Pour dough into greased loaf pan. Try to get it even and to the edges.

Put in preheated oven (350 degrees) for 50 minutes.



Pour remaining butter evenly over top and put it back in the oven for 10 more minutes.



Give it a few minutes to cool. Using a serrated knife cut yourself a slice. I slather it up with some butter and let it get all melty. It has become my favorite breakfast: Chai latte with a big slice of buttered beer bread. : ) Yumminess!!

I have attempted a gluten free version of this for my dad...and it turned out soooo strange!! It was the heaviest, weirdest textured thing I've ever made!! But it is on my agenda to try again at it. There are specific gluten free beers that you will need to use. I got two different kinds at Whole Foods.

Enjoy!


Loves,
~Kels
                                                                                                                                                                                                        

No comments:

Post a Comment