Monday, April 2, 2012

Fried/Toasted Ravioli

I've heard these called both fried and toasted. I myself call them fried. I had these for the first time in St. Louis where I believe they may have originated. (Dont quote me on that though!) Then I realized they had these babies at Olive Garden. MMmm! After having them in St. Louis I decided to make my own when I got home.

In the refrigerated section at the grocery store, you can find the ravioli. There's several varieties out there. This time I made 4-cheese as well as Spinach and Cheese.

Here's all you need to "bread" the ravioli: Italian Bread Crumbs, Parmesan Cheese and Salt.
I dont measure, just go by look and smell then give it a very good mix.
Beat 2-3 eggs and coat each ravioli letting excess drip off.
Coat evenly with bread crumb mixture. I set them aside on a plate to put in the fridge to set up a bit before they go into the oil.
Heat your oil slowly while the ravioli set up in the fridge. Set the burner to about low-medium and then you can increase it to a medium-high. Checking the temperature of the oil has always been a major pain for me so I let the burner get to that medium-high and then let it set there for a few minutes so it is even.
Carefully drop a couple ravioli in the oil at a time. Dont put in too many or it will lower the temperature of the oil. They'll float after a few seconds. I let them float on the first side for a few more seconds and then carefully flip them. Each side gets flipped twice so they can get good a golden.

Watch them closely! They will puff up and burst open if left in the oil too long. Remove them to a plate covered with a paper towel. (Its sort of funny to watch them deflate so quickly!)


They barely made it to the plates...I was eating them almost straight from the pan! (I am ashamed! hehe)

These are a fantastic option for parties. You can make them ahead of time and pop them in the freezer until a few minutes before you're ready to serve them. Set your oven to 350 degrees and you can put them in straight from the freezer. Cook them for 4-5 minutes on each side and they are ready to go!!


Happy Eatin'!

Loves!
~Kels





2 comments:

  1. Oh my, YUM! You're like a super mommy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually feel more like a super fatty...lol I just dont feel justified in spending so much on foods that I can so easily make at home!

      Delete